Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Day Three - Running Errands

Today was quite interesting - a trip to the RTA to get a new driver's license (the old one having gone missing along with my Medicare card - such timing).

So, we rock up at the RTA, take a ticket and start filling in a form - at the table which is about half a metre too high for me to reach easily. Definitely designed for someone standing up! But I manage, and we're called up to the counter.

I was REALLY curious - were they going to ask? Were they going to even mention the fact that I have a full driver's license but happen to be in a wheelchair?

And I was so impressed at how she did it in the end, too. The question was so simple, so subtle - "Is it a full license?" And then there was the miracle when I got out of the chair and over to the photo booth. And then Mama couldn't take the suspense any more and explained in full :)

We then pootled along to the library. Mama has dramatically improved since our first outing and is now a bit more aware of the bumps in the road.

Now, it is not possible to browse in a library in a wheelchair. Well it is - but only if you're looking at books at your eye level, cutting out about four fifths of the collection. So, we had another miracle and out I jumped.

All this jumping out is cheating, I know. But the fact that I do need to keep cheating does show how difficult life must be for someone who can't leap out when things go wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home